Some kids have rhythm in their soul. Others work hard to master percussion. But whether your child has innate talent or just a desire to learn, the drums are an excellent starter instrument for kids. We’re putting the spotlight on drum lessons at Music Matters this November for International Drum Month.
Benefits of Drum Lessons
Did you know that learning the drums helps kids become healthier, more well-rounded individuals? Check out these benefits of learning the drums.
- Reduces stress and anxiety. Kids can drum away their problems and refocus their minds on creating beautiful percussion. After all, what better way to beat anxiety than hitting something?
- It improves brain power. Creating and listening to music is proven to boost brain power for kids. Research shows that drums in particular encourage hemispheric coordination in the brain (i.e. harmony between the right and left sides of the brain). Drumming also has a calming effect, increasing alpha waves (calming electrical activity) in the brain.
- Drumming improves rhythm. Everything under the sun has rhythm: music, dancing, wildlife, even traffic. Drumming helps kids connect with the natural rhythm of life.
- It encourages teamwork. Nearly every band has a drummer. Kids who learn to play drums also learn to work with other musicians to create a cohesive sound. At Music Matters, we encourage kids to join Rock U, which allows them to practice and play with their own band to improve their skills and have fun.
- It’s fun! Is there any better reason to play?
Music Matters has two excellent drum instructors on staff. To sign up for kids drum lessons in Alpharetta, call today. The first lesson is always free!